Saturday, August 10, 2013

It Begins

Hello and welcome to my new blog, "There's No Place Like Home."  My vision for this blog is to show the rehab and repair of my 1929 attached home, known in this area as a twin.

Since I am not particularly handy, I'm going to be learning as I write and blogging about the different projects I take on.  Although my home has the character of the year it was built, it is need of some TLC if I am going to eventually sell it, which is my goal in the next couple of years. Funds are limited, so I'm going to have to do most of the work myself and I thought it might be inspiring to other women to tackle projects around their homes as well. 

After looking at my list of projects, I chose the front porch as the first project. 



I love my front porch - I think it's charming, but after a very wet spring and a tropical summer, I am being eaten alive by little mosquito buggers.  Seriously, it is like someone rings a dinner bell when I walk outside (even during the day) and a swarm of blood-thirsty tiny vampires descend on me.  

I've really just had it, so I've decided to screen in the porch.  I could be entirely delusional, but I'm thinking this should be a fairly easy project to complete and I priced out the materials at a little under $500.  


 Plus, as you can see it needs a new coat of paint in a bad way. 

 


 After taking a good long look at the railings, I've decided to replace them rather than attempt to repair, strip and paint.  

So a little work with a hammer...

and the railings are no more


Next, I need to scrape the loose paint, sand and wash down all the wood to prep it for painting. More tomorrow, but would love to know what you are working on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment